Local authorities are at the centre of what we do.
The LGMA is a state agency that provides a range of professional services to local authorities.
We work collaboratively with all 31 local authorities to support the coordinated and cost-effective delivery of local government services and policy. We also help local authorities to implement change and enhance performance.
The LGMA was established in 2012 under an establishment order. We are an agency of the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage, primarily funded by local authorities.
In partnership with local authorities, the LGMA will be a shared centre of excellence in leading sectoral approaches to the development and expansion of exemplary public services at local level.
To focus activities to deliver a quality customer experience to local authorities, prioritised on the development and promotion of best practice policies, systems and sectoral approaches to the business challenges facing local authorities.
- To deliver high quality services to local government, demonstrating value for money and continuously adapting to the changing needs of the sector
- To actively support the development and implementation of government policy, utilising leading practice from inside and outside the sector using data as a key enabler
- To support the development of strategic leadership within local authorities to support the formulation and implementation of strategic plans
- To be the recognised national representative and voice for the local government sector
- To create an open and engaging work environment, seen as a prime organisation for developing the skills and experience to support career progression
- To act as a centre of excellence in the areas within the advisory remit of the LGMA
- To support and strengthen good governance
Take a look at our Corporate Plan 2020 – 2022 to find out more about our objectives and how we strive to achieve them.
Local authorities provide hundreds of services and we support them in doing that, which means working across a number of diverse areas. You can read about our work and projects here.
The LGMA Board sets the broad strategy and policies of LGMA, which are implemented and delivered through a pillar organisation structure.
Work with us
Working for the LGMA gives you the opportunity to gain wide experience and to make a real difference for local authorities in Ireland.